Happy Hump Day!  It is Wednesday, right?  What a week!  Sure feels like it should be Friday!  I've been working on our fall porch decor and one of the things I wanted to include was this gorgeous wood oversized row of hooks.
It's called the Statement Row of Hooks and I just love it, but I didn't love the price, so I set out to make my own.  Here's what you need.
I picked up a 1 x 6 x 4 at Lowe's along with 4 table legs and some 2 1/2 inch wood screws.  Since the 1 x 6 was already 4 feet long, I didn't have to cut it to length.  For the hooks, which are quite large as the name implies, I chose to use table legs that I cut off to be 8 inches long.
Next, I placed them exactly where I wanted them on the 1 x 6 and traced a circle around each one.  My "pegs" were 6 inches from the end with approximately 10 - 11 inch spacing between each one.
This is the back side of the row of hooks.  Next I pre drilled a hole into the center of each circle.
And then pre drilled a hole into the center of each of the cut table legs.
Then drill your screw into the pre drilled hole in the circle until it begins to come out the other side of the board.  Line it up with the hole in the table leg and while holding the leg tightly against the board, continue drilling the screw into the table leg.  It should be very tight.  It's important to use 2 1/2 inch screws here because they make the pegs very sturdy and able to withstand holding something fairly heavy.
It should look like this, only your screw should be completely screwed in.  I left mine out a little so you could see how they line up.  Continue doing that with each "peg" until each one is attached.  After it was all finished, I put a couple of coats of Minwax Special Walnut stain on and let dry.  Here's my version.....
I'm super happy with it!  I've got some special things to hang from it for fall, as well as, some other fun things in store for the front porch but I wanted to show you what it would look like first and show you how you could make your own.  I really wanted to add some warmth to the porch for the fall season and make a statement so what better way to do that than to add a statement row of hooks, right?!
Total cost for this project was just under $25 for the pine 1 x 6 x 4, the 4 table legs and the package of screws.  The stain and foam brush I already had.  Can't beat that!  I just love it!  Stay tuned for the complete Fall porch makeover very soon!  Have a great day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top