My hubby and I have been married for 20 years and for 20 of those years, I have longed for an old hutch, just like the one in my grandma's kitchen.  Every time we would come across one, it was too expensive or just wasn't exactly what we wanted.  My luck was about to change.

While visiting a local flea market on Saturday, I walked to the back of the store and saw this.


One look and I was immediately transported back to my grandma's kitchen.  The sounds, smells, and all the things I loved about her and her kitchen immediately came to mind.  When the owner came over to talk to me, all I could manage to say was, "I want this."  

I called my hubby and he came down to check it out.  We worked out a deal with the owners, packed it up and brought it home.  I was a happy girl.  :)

Of course, it needed some work, but that's what I liked about it.  Although I liked the sunny yellow paint, it wouldn't really fit in with the decor in our home so I had to paint it white.  


You know I'm not crazy about scroll work so I needed to do something to remove or cover it on the top.  I also needed to update the door hardware.  The hardware on the drawers was perfect and didn't need anything.

I decided to add crown molding to the top so I added a 1 x 4 to the top in between the two sides or scroll work.  I attached it with a nail gun.


Next, I cut a piece of crown molding and attached it to the 1 x 4 that I just attached on the front and mitered the corners to wrap around the sides of the hutch.


As you can see, there are gaps but that's why caulk is the best thing ever for a DIY'er.  It covers a multitude of sins.  I learned how to cut mitered corners and returns about 9 years ago and every time I cut them, I forget how and have to buy extra molding to practice on.  That whole thing of turning your molding upside down and cutting at 45 degrees confuses me every time.  I'm sure there is an easier way and possibly a better saw for the job but I don't know what it is.  After I caulked the gaps, and filled the nail gun holes with spackle, I started painting and adding the new door pulls.  
Here's how she looks now.


I had two sea grass baskets that I picked up at Lowe's a few months ago that fit perfectly on the second shelf.  I filled them with my collection of linen vintage napkins.   I also added my coffee sacks and more vintage linens.  Plus my collection of old mismatched flatware that hubby brought me.


As well as my treasured french compote that I picked up on Etsy.


See how nicely the crown molding turned out after filling the gaps with caulk?


Here's a closeup of the drawer pulls.  I thought they matched the original drawer pulls perfectly.


As you can see, I sanded the edges a little to let a tiny bit of the cheery yellow paint shine through.  
I couldn't resist.  :)




(Try not to look at the huge vent and thermostat on the the wall.)


I had to do some rearranging in the dining room but that was fine with me.  I still have the shelf I built from reclaimed barn wood, I just moved it to another corner.


So, after 20 years, we finally have a hutch that also reminds me of spending time with my grandma.


That's the best part....

Have a great day!
Diana

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top