I've been trying to come up with another piece of furniture for the display window of our shop and while looking for inspiration online, I came across this cubby organizer from PB.


I wanted to make a much larger version and also try to keep cost down and then I remembered that we had this pile of old pine lumber in storage that we had come across in the pile with the large walnut slabs.


Since it was going to be rather large, I asked my hubby to help me with this one.  And after several redos, here's what we came up with .


We made a 4 foot x 4 foot box and then cut each center divider and attached with a nail gun.  After than, I attached a piece of bead board to the back.  I wanted to put some kind of number plates on the front of each cubby.  I would have liked metal but since I didn't have that and wanted to keep cost down, we ripped 1/4 thick pieces of wood off the extra scraps of wood and I cut them down to 1 1/2 inch pieces and sanded them down to look like this.


I attached them to the front of each cubby with wood glue.


Then I took some caulk and filled in all the gaps and holes to prepare for painting.


I painted the entire cabinet ultra white by Valspar then took my sander to it to distress it quite a bit.  I wanted it to look pretty rough.  Then I stenciled the numbers on the front of each wood label with black paint.  
Total cost for this project was $15 for the bead board.  Everything else, we already had.  Yay!
Here's how it looks.....


It was hard to actually put this piece in the shop.  I loved it so much I wanted to keep it for our home.  But I can't wait to fill it with items from our store.  
And it does look great in the window.


Speaking of windows.....the sign is finished and here's how it looks....


I really appreciated everyone's suggestions and since symmetry is something I sometimes have to have, we decided to put it all on one window while the other window will be used for display, but I'm not revealing that side just yet.  :)

Have a great day!

Diana

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top