Hey there!

After a week of thinking that I bit off more than I could chew trying to figure out how to slipcover our sofa, I finally got my thinking cap on straight and did it.  It isn't your typical slipcover as I didn't add piping (too difficult), but I'm very happy with it...and also happy with the fact that I stuck with it when I was about ready to throw in the towel.  But, let me tell ya, I would rather poke out my own eyeballs with a stick then ever attempt doing this again, LOL!  :)

I am so excited to be giving this room, our den, a makeover so don't look at anything but the sofa in these pictures because everything that's currently in there is on it's way out! :) Fun!  Here's what the sofa looked like before.  Outdated, not my style of fabric, but nice lines....
BEFORE
I used two and a half packages of 9 x 12 foot canvas dropcloth for this project.  I started by cutting off the skirt around the bottom.  This is where I panicked because I knew there was no turning back now.  Trying to figure out how to sew an entire slipcover was intimidating for my first try, so, I did it in sections.  First, I recovered the back and stapled the fabric underneath with a staple gun.  That part was easy. 
Then I measured and cut out pieces for the arm and pinned them together.  To me this was the hardest part and what kept me confused all week.  I think it was the shape that was throwing me off.  Or maybe I was having a mental block, either way, I just. Couldn't. Get it.
After that was finished I removed it and began sewing.   I did the same thing with the other arm and then added a piece of fabric that would join them both together and would also be the bottom piece below the cushions.  I left the bottom loose because when it was all finished, I wanted to pull it tightly under the sofa and staple it for a tailored look.
The cushions came next, more cutting fabric, pinning and sewing until everything was finally finished.  This is what it looks like now.
AFTER
What do you all think?  I am super happy with it even though I couldn't quite make it look like the settee from Anthropologie that I was inspired by.  And it's my first slipcover, so I'm pretty proud of that.  :) I can't wait to get some colorful pillows on that couch and a fun throw blanket!  So many possibilities now with a neutral color. 

I'm redecorating this room for my hubby.  He wants something masculine and since this room is pretty much only used by all my boys, I've got some ideas up my sleeve and want to make it really special for them.  Right now, it's a blank room with a TV and a couch.  So stay tuned for some decorating fun!

 And now the winner of the X Burlap Pillow giveaway is:

 LAURA, who's comment was:
              "I'd love to win! I've really been enjoying your blog so far."

Congratulations Laura!  I hope you enjoy this pillow!  Email me your address info!  Happy Monday to all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top