There is just something about vintage bread and cutting boards that I just love.  Maybe it's that they remind me of being in the kitchen with my grandma as she cooked with so much love when I was a child or maybe it's the lovely patina they have after years and years of being passed down from generation to generation.  I just know I love 'em and have a hard time saying no when I find one at a flea market or yard sale.  These are some of my favorites....some new, some old.  I don't use the old ones, I just admire them in my kitchen.
I've scoured flea markets looking for little miniature versions of antique bread boards to use for individual servings or small loaves of bread at our dinner table, so that each family member could have their own, but haven't had any luck.  That made me wonder how hard it would be to make my own for my kids to pass down someday.  So, I gave it a try.

All you need are some scrap pieces of hardwood, such as oak or maple (I used oak because that's what I had), a jig saw (and please wear safety goggles), sand paper, cordless drill and food grade mineral oil

If you happen to live near a cabinet making factory, like we do, they are usually happy to give you the scraps free of charge and they don't need to be very big scraps to make these.  Each of mine are about 12 inches from the bottom to the top of the handle.
These are the shapes I chose to make.  I basically just used a hand mirror handle, cutting board handle, etc. to trace the shape onto the wood and then carefully cut out the shape using a jig saw.  It doesn't have to be perfect, it is supposed to look vintage, afterall.

After that, I sanded down the edges to smooth 'em out and give 'em a worn look.  I used 150 grit sandpaper.  To make them look authentic, I drilled a hole through the handle.  Wash them well and let dry completely, then re-sand, as the grain will raise a little from being wet.  Do this a couple of times, then when smooth, coat heavily with mineral oil.  Let that soak in well and wipe off the excess after about an hour.  Done! 

To wash, use warm soap and water and towel dry.  NEVER put in the dishwasher.  Re-coat with mineral oil occasionally if it looks like the wood is drying out and to keep them looking beautiful. 
My hubby brought home this old wooden caddy the other day and I thought it would be perfect in the center of our farmhouse table filled with the bread boards and other accessories we use.  I tied up our plain white napkins with jute twine from the hardware store, a fun alternative to napkin rings.  I picked up these vintage salt and pepper shakers on Ebay years ago.  Isn't the wood on the crate beautifully worn?!
It also has a little handle in the center so we can tote it outside to eat on the porch if we want.
And since I didn't spend any money to make them, I thought I would treat us to these fun little rosewood bowls.  How cute do they look on the little bread board and they are perfect for dipping oil, bruschetta or whatever else you enjoy eating with your bread.
I ordered the bowls from here.  They're called rosewood condiment bowls, if anyone is interested.
This was a fun little project and fairly easy because they're small and could be made with a single piece of wood instead of several joined pieces, like most larger cutting boards.

And speaking of projects, my couch recovering dilemma has turned into a nightmare!  Hopefully the nightmare will be over soon and I will have a pretty couch to show you in the near future.  And I haven't forgotten about those shelves.....time has just been getting away from me lately!  I promise to have them up soon!  Happy Friday my friends!

Have a great weekend everybody! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top