Hey there!  Over the weekend, my hubby and I were on our way to a movie with our youngest when we came across a yard sale.  A yard sale in the evening?  Yes!  He told me he had driven past it earlier and noticed a solid wood console table for only 7 bucks that I would probably like to redo, so, we stopped.   Here's the table....I was instantly drawn to the shape of it.
We also picked up this HUGE basket for $3.  I love everything about it.  It. Is. Gorgeous.
To spiff it up, I sprayed it with a shiny coat of polyurethane and that's it. 

Here's what I did with the console table after staring at it for a while.  This may sound a little crazy, but, the top reminded me of a surfboard, sorta, and it also had a retro vibe going on.  So, I decided to have some fun with it.  :)

After sanding it down, I gave it two coats of a really pretty, very light aqua paint color called Icy Teal by Glidden.  Then, since it reminded me of a surfboard, I taped off a 6 inch wide section down the middle and painted that white, then stenciled the number 5 in the center of the white stripe with the aqua color.  No reason for that, really, other than I like the number 5 and I thought that would go with the theme of the table.  After everything was dried, I sanded it down quite a bit so that it would look very distressed, you know, like a retro surfboard!  LOL.....  We love it!
What do ya think?  Fun, huh?  I loved the original drawer pull that was there so I kept it, spray painted it white and roughed it up with sandpaper.
It's something fun and cheerful, and an unexpected surprise, behind the couch in our somewhat coastal inspired living room.  I just finished painting our book shelves white and wow, does it make all our favorite books stand out nicely.  I'm also building a simple writing desk to pair with a beautiful wood chair that my hubby bought for me to add to the room.  The basket we picked up will also be making it's home in there, so, check back soon for pics!  Have a great day!  Linking up with Thrifty Decor Chick today!  Come join the Goodwill Before and After party!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top