Hello!  Anyone else ready for Spring as much as I am?  Winter always makes me feel a bit lazy because really, if it's brutally cold, which it has been, the only thing there is to do is sit around and stay warm somehow.  So, what better time for a sewing project.  Especially one that will take a lot of time  And this one did.

I've seen these smocked jute burlap curtains floating around blog land for a while now but seriously, $150 for ONE panel??  No thanks.  I would never spend that kind of money for one curtain panel, I don't care how much I loved them.  And boy did I love them....

I wondered if I could make them but smocking fabric sounded hard and looked time consuming and I would need a lot of burlap for my tall windows.  Well, the opportunity presented itself recently when last week a friend and I needed to purchase a lot of burlap to use as a table cloth and decor at a Homecoming banquet.  Here's a pic of the gorgeous barn where the dinner was held.


It was so much fun!  Anyway, we had all that burlap left over so we split it and I decided to make the curtains with it.  The burlap we bought was perfect, not too thick and not too thin.  Just right and just right in cost, too.  It can be purchased here

Now, I had no idea how to smock fabric so I looked for the best possible tutorial I could find and did I find a great one.  Click here for that.  I probably wouldn't have been able to figure it out if it wasn't for that step by step.

So, I grabbed by burlap, got cozy and warm in a chair with a good movie playing in the background and sewed for hours.  At first it takes forever but once you get the process down, it goes so much faster.  By the time I made my second panel, it was going a lot quicker.  I am so happy with how they turned out and can't believe I did that when I look at them.



Call me crazy but I actually like the look of wrinkled up burlap, especially with these curtains, so I wadded up the panels when they were finished to make them look a bit more casual and rustic. 


I love these so much that I just might have to buy more burlap and make some for our bedroom.


The sun was shining so strong in the window and I loved it.  It's the first time the sun has been out in a week or more.

So what do you think?  Are you going to make some too?  Send me photos if you do, I'd love to see them!

Have a great day!
Diana

Follow along between posts on Instagram!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top